Midwest and Edgerton
Midwest and Edgerton lie 40 miles north of Casper. Stockmen in the 1800s used oil found in the vicinity’s creek bottoms for ointments. Although claims were first made in 1883, the first strike did not occur until 1908. The town of Midwest grew with the Salt Creek Oil Field and was originally a tent city called Home Camp. Home Camp was a Midwest Oil Company town where families could be raised. In 1924, Home Camp was renamed Midwest and ultimately incorporated in 1975. Salt Creek is also known as one of the first “unitized oil fields” in the nation, where one company operates the properties for all owners thereby increasing production efficiencies. Edgerton, located one-mile east, was founded in 1923. In recent years the two towns joined in mutual agreement to bring drinking water from the North Platte River, thereby solving a long-term community concern.
In 2004, Anadarko Petroleum initiated the first phase of a $200 million carbon dioxide (CO2) enhanced oil recovery project. Anadarko uses Wyoming-produced CO2 to flood the 100-year old Salt Creek field and gradually increased production to nearly 30,000 barrels per day by 2008. Production could continue 10 to 20 years to sweep an additional 150 million barrels of oil from the Salt Creek Field. The Salt Creek field is one of the largest CO2 oil recovery and geological-sequestration projects of its kind in the world. The project currently sequesters enough CO2 each day to offset the equivalent emissions of more than 500,000 cars.