The Deceptive Killer
This Preparedness Guide
explains the dangers of winter weather and suggests life-saving action you can take. With this information, you can recognize winter weather threats, develop an action plan and be ready when severe winter weather threatens. Remember....your safety is up to you.
Why Talk about Winter Weather?
- Each year, dozens of Americans die due to exposure to cold. Add to that number, vehicle accidents and fatalities, fires due to dangerous use of heaters and other winter weather fatalities and you have a significant threat.
- Threats, such as hypothermia and frostbite, can lead to loss of fingers and toes or cause permanent kidney, pancreas and liver injury and even death. You must prepare properly to avoid these extreme dangers. You also need to know what to do if you see symptoms of these threats.
- A major winter storm can last for several days and be accompanied by high winds, freezing rain or sleet, heavy snowfall and cold temperatures.
- People can become trapped at home or in a car, without utilities or other assistance.
- Attempting to walk for help in a winter storm can be a deadly decision.
- The aftermath of a winter storm can have an impact on a community or region for days, weeks or even months.
- Extremely cold temperature, heavy snow and ice can cause hazardous conditions and hidden problems.