Hazardous Materials Spill Reporting

EPCRA Section 304 requires facilities to report hazardous materials spills over certain threshold quantities to their LEPC, State Emergency Response Commission (SERC), and the National Response Center (NRC). Facilities having a hazardous materials spill that are required to report should do the following:

1.  IMMEDIATELY DIAL 9-1-1 to inform emergency responders of the situation and enact your facility emergency plan.

2.  Work with emergency responders to safely contain the situation.

3.  AS SOON AS POSSIBLE notify the Natrona County LEPC by calling 307-235-9205 of the spill and provide the following information:

  • The chemical name
  • An indication of whether the substance is extremely hazardous
  • An estimate of the quantity released into the environment
  • The time and duration of the release
  • Whether the release occurred into air, water, and/or land
  • Any known or anticipated acute or chronic health risks associated with the emergency, and where necessary, advice regarding medical attention for exposed individuals
  • Proper precautions, such as evacuation or sheltering in place
  • Name and telephone number of contact person

4.  When practical, notify the State Emergency Response Commission (SERC) of the spill at 307-777-4900.

5.  If the hazardous material released is a CERCLA chemical and meets release thresholds, contact the National Response Center (NRC) at (800) 424-8802.

6. Report spill to Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality at 307-777-7781 or http://spills.adm.apps.deq.wyoming.gov/.